#Sponsored #MTPApartner I’m proud to be partnering with Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma America (MTPA) to help newly diagnosed pALS and cALS navigate their diagnosis.
Unabashed joy, love and gratitude. These were the emotions overwhelming me when my wife and I concluded the adoption process for our three youngest children. The moment the judge’s gavel struck the bench, our family grew from three to six, wow!
Fast forward two years, all our kids are doing well, our three youngest have settled into their “forever family”. By now I had exhibited signs and received the diagnosis of ALS. Really are you kidding me! Our family was devastated to say the least. We had a choice to make; allow ALS to consume us or choose to live “our” lives boldly.
We could have lost control of our lives had we decided to let ALS be our compass. So we chose to remain in control by talking and communicating all aspects of this disease. Our family is very pragmatic, ALS is something dad has. Yes it infiltrates many aspects of our lives, yet we simply don’t let it consume us. I can’t really explain it. When speaking to a highly engaged person and you ask them, “How do you do everything you do?” often their answer is, “I don’t know I just do it.” That’s how it goes, we just live our life, in spite of ALS.
So can you, it may seem insurmountable at first, but there are steps you can take to feel more in control. Such as:
*Enlist the entire family in a very honest and real conversation of what’s to come.
*Engage with the support offered to everyone in the immediate family.
*Remain informed on current therapies and discuss these with your doctor. In my case, this included discussing the prescription drug RADICAVA® (edaravone) and deciding to begin treatment.
*Enjoy your life the best you can, make plans, they may change, but make them.
*Don’t deny anyone’s fears, anger or anguish associated with ALS and its effect. Mourning begins the moment the diagnosis is rendered, to be bluntly honest.
RADICAVA is indicated for the treatment of ALS. RADICAVA may cause serious side effects, including hypersensitivity (allergic) reactions and sulfite allergic reactions. The most common side effects of RADICAVA include bruising (contusion), problems walking (gait disturbance), and headache. See Important Safety Information below.
I try to be as optimistic as possible, but “how?” you may ask? My answer to you is…Why The Heck Not! The alternative is not amenable to me. Let me be clear though, it is immensely difficult to maintain a healthy outlook with such a relentless disease. I commend anyone that does, even if but a fraction of the time.
If ever in need of support, don’t hesitate to reach out, there is a whole community here for you. A community made of pALS, cALS, medical experts, and advocates. Just know you are not alone on this journey. As a pALS myself, I feel alone at times but I know in my heart I Am Not Alone.
There are tools to help you “Embrace Your Now,” including the ALS Care Locator that can help you locate healthcare providers and infusions centers that treat ALS: using the following hyperlink: https://www.radicava.com/patient/als-care-locator/?utm_campaign=corp-radicava-us_activator_06-q1-21_con_tra&utm_medium=social-sponsor&utm_source=blog-activator&utm_content=jr-blog-2_post_commercial-support_br_CP-RC-US-1868utm_target=pat__standard
This information is intended for U.S. audiences only 18 years of age and older. RADICAVA is available by prescription only. Talk to your doctor.
Radicava® is indicated for the treatment of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
Important Safety Information
Before you receive Radicava® (edaravone), tell your healthcare provider about all of your medical conditions, including if you:
• have asthma.
• are allergic to other medicines.
• are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if Radicava® will harm your unborn baby.
• are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if Radicava® passes into your breast milk. You and your healthcare provider should decide if you will receive Radicava® or breastfeed.
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
What are the possible side effects of Radicava®?
• Radicava® may cause serious side effects including hypersensitivity (allergic) reactions and sulfite allergic reactions.
• Hypersensitivity reactions have happened in people receiving RADICAVA and can happen after your infusion is finished.
• Radicava® contains sodium bisulfite, a sulfite that may cause a type of allergic reaction that can be serious and life-threatening. Sodium bisulfite can also cause less severe asthma episodes in certain people. Sulfite sensitivity can happen more often in people who have asthma than in people who do not have asthma.
• Tell your healthcare provider right away or go to the nearest emergency room if you have any of the following symptoms: hives; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; fainting; breathing problems; wheezing; trouble swallowing; dizziness; itching; or an asthma attack (in people with asthma).
• Your healthcare provider will monitor you during treatment to watch for signs and symptoms of all the serious side effects.
The most common side effects of Radicava® include bruising (contusion), problems walking (gait disturbance), and headache.
These are not all the possible side effects of RADICAVA. Call your healthcare provider for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma America, Inc. at 1-888-292-0058 or FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
Please see full Prescribing Information and Patient Information.
For more information about RADICAVA®, call 1-844-SRCHLGT (1-844-772-4548).